Ms S 196: Punchard Free School Trustees Records
Chiefly minutes, 1850-1980, of trustees in
charge of endowed secondary school which became public high
school. (6 folders)
This material consists
mainly of minutes of the trustees, 1850 to 1980, who were in charge
of administering the munificent sum of $50,000 left by Benjamin H.
Punchard for a free secondary school in the town of Andover. The
school opened in 1856, but beginning in 1868 when the first building
burned, the town gradually took over funding and running the school
until by 1910 it was considered to be public. In 1947, George K.
Gardner, a law professor at Harvard helped the trustees decide what
to do with the $3,000 annual income which would not sustain even one
teacher. Gardner suggested that the money be used to enrich the
instruction of the pupils in the high school as the trustees saw
Besides these four
bound volumes, there is a folder of clippings and school
memorabilia, including obituary resolutions and material from the
This material has the
Accession Number 1981.163.
Processed by Mary F. Morgan,
The Andover Historical Society...
What's Your Story?