Canobie! Canobie! Reads the first line of an article in the August 24, 1888 issue of the Andover Townsman. Even in 1888 individuals and groups sought out fun in the sun in neighboring Salem. Canobie Lake park didn’t’ open officially until 1902 as a trolley park for the Massachusetts Northeast Street Railway Company. Trolley parks popped up all over the Northeast during the late 1800s and early 1900s as an incentive for people to use railcars.
Even before the official opening of the park people from allover the Merrimack Valley flocked to the banks for the lack for fun and relaxation. Andover had regular service to Canobie at 8:23 and 1:09 returning at 5:13. However, because it was such a draw special trains were scheduled for large groups such as this one for the Free Church Sunday-school.