This container holds a 200 piece puzzle of Andover. This puzzle was made in 1996 to commemorate the 350th anniversary of Andover, which was settled in 1642 before being established in 1646. This can is still completely sealed, which suggests that it was made just to celebrate the 350th anniversary, not for usage. This specific puzzle was only used as a celebratory token, but perhaps other puzzles were made and actually distributed to children in 1996, allowing them to use the puzzle for its actual purpose. Unfortunately, the donor is unknown, but the source of the object is Family Bank. This is not the only puzzle on the third floor of Andover Historical Society, as there is a 1000 piece one, but it is the only puzzle that celebrates the anniversary of Andover.
This the final post I will be making that has to do with cards. These objects are simply three individual cards from a pack. These cards are all miniscule, and the back of each is a simple blue design. The three individual cards, as shown, are the 2 of diamonds, the 6 of diamonds, and the 4 of hearts. The donor of these three specific cards is unknown, as is the date they were made and obtained. Despite the little information and the uncertainty of these objects, they are somewhat interesting in that they are just three individual cards. This is unlike any other object on the third floor of the Andover Historical Society, and despite the simplicity, they merit some attention.
This is an object that is truly unique to the town of Andover, the game of Andover, Massachusetts. This board game, along with others, was found on the third floor of the historical society. This game is essentially Monopoly, but “Andover-ized.” One can see the gazebo and the Phillips Academy bell tower on the cover of the game, showing locations that could have served as properties in the game. As one could read from the rules, this game is, what I stated before, a spin-off of Monopoly. Each player starts with a certain amount of cash, then moves around the board using game pieces to buy properties and pay/collect cash to and from the bank. The game only ends when all but one player becomes bankrupt, which can often take hours. This is the game board, with the “Go” square in the corner where one starts the game. The multiple properties are spread out on the board, as are the Andover version of “Go to Jail,” and various fees and “star” cards, or chance cards in regular Monopoly. The same image on the cover is on the middle of the board. The game pieces, dice, star cards, cash, and property cards are all located within the game box. These objects are all similar to Monopoly, even though the game pieces are significantly less original in this game. In conclusion, this game is truly unique in that it incorporates the town into a simple board game everyone can play.
This board is of a game known as the “Uncle Wiggly Game.” This board game was found with other games on the third floor of the historical society. Although the box is just a red cover with a sticker label in the corner, the game board is far more interesting. Unfortunately, the donor of this game is unknown, but this game was used by the donor’s daughter.
This is the game board, which is thoroughly detailed with images and the paths players would take with game pieces. This game appears to be a classic board game where the objective is to traverse from one location to another. These are the game pieces and cards that go along with the game.
These are the rules for the game in case there are any readers out there who wish to know what the game is truly about, as the title and game itself are somewhat vague.
This is another of the many deck of cards on the Andover Historical Society third floor. This is another standard deck, with all 52 cards plus jokers. However, the card box is different in that it shows the etching of Memorial Gate, with Abbot Hall in the background. The image is a representation of Abbot Academy. The other side of the box is of the Redi-Slip finish, signifying that this deck of cards is of the Redi-Slip type.
This specific deck of cards were made by the company Brown and Bigelow. The Brown and Bigelow company was known for making Redi-Slip cards, which in this case, were also known as Remembrance Playing Cards. Brown and Bigelow was founded in 1896, and still exists today. The company’s aim is to sell promotional products throughout the country through sales executives.
This deck was donated from the estate of Margaret Batter Sill, located in Methuen, MA. The card deck, however, was made in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Taking a break from the deck of cards, this particular game is called the “Fish pond game.” It was also found on the third floor of the Andover Historical Society. The game comes in a long rectangular wooden box, and on the inside lid is a white label with the rules of the game. The box lid connects to the box using hinges and a small latch.
In the box, are six fishing poles, or 45 centimeter long dowels, and 37 “fish,” or small wooden-bell shaped pieces with wood bubbles at the top of each piece simulating the eyes of the fish. This game is somewhat abstract and unknown, but simulates the art of fishing. Unfortunately, the donor is unknown as well as the year of conception.
This is another one of the abundant supply of card decks on the third floor. This deck of cards, similarly to last week’s entry, was donated by the Merrimack Mutual Fire Insurance Company. These cards were also produced in the mid 1900s. The difference between the card decks is the design on the cover. Whereas the last deck contained a simple, inconspicuous design, this deck has the image of a Native American woman in front of a tepee plastered on the front of the deck and the front of each card. Unlike the other deck of cards, this deck contains the full set of 52 cards in a standard deck, as well as four jokers.
This deck of cards contains a distinguishable box lid, bottom, and the actual deck of cards. These are labelled as three different objects with different ID’s. Inside the lid, there is a note about the maker of the cards, Ray Ring. He lived in Epsom, New Hampshire, and worked for Forbes and other companies in the mid 1900s.
This old deck of cards is one of many located on the third floor of the Andover Historical Society. This deck is a standard deck of cards, with the exception being the three of clubs missing. Aside from this, the other 51 cards are included in this deck. The card box has two sides, one of which is shown. The other side is labelled Merrimack Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and this is the label for the back of each card as well.
The Merrimack Mutual Fire Insurance Company was formed in 1828, and is the founder of Andover companies, an insurance protection agency since 1828. It is one of three companies, that still exist today, of Andover companies. The Merrimack Mutual Fire Insurance Company sold policies to several towns, including Andover, Newbury, Beverly, Methuen, and Newburyport. The company was successful initially, and currently owns more than half of Andover companies. The current address for this company is 95 Old River Road, residing close to Lawrence.
This is a circular board found on the third floor of the Andover Historical Society. This game is similar to the last one, but has a varying setup as well as varying rules. This board contains 33 holes for marbles, and included in the game set, are 32 marbles.
This game is called peg solitaire, with the intial setup having marbles in each hole aside from the center one. Then, a player must jump one marble over an adjacent one. A marble jumped over is to be removed from the board. However, there must be a space open for the marble jumping over the other marble for this to occur. The game continues until it is impossible to remove any more marbles, or if, in rare cases, there is only one marble left, which is the goal of the game.
This board can also be used for other games requiring marbles as well, and is versatile in that facet. These are the marbles that would be used in the game.