This is William Blair Graves, a revolutionary Science professor at Phillips Academy.
Graves was born in 1834, and graduated from Amherst in 1862. He spent all of his career in education. After teaching in high schools such as Medfield and Holliston, Graves returned to Amherst to teach math. He quickly left this position, however, to organize and direct a Natural Sciences department at PA. After four years he accepted a teaching position at Marietta College, where he taught natural sciences. Finally in 1881, Principal Bancroft of PA, asked Graves to return to assume the leadership of the Science Department. Upon his return, Graves raised funds to build a Science building with laboratories. It was finished in a few years and named Graves Hall. Although the building is now home to the Music Department, Graves Hall is still beloved among the talented musicians on campus.
He stayed at Andover until 1908, when failing health forced him into retirement. He died in Andover on May 5th, 1911 at the age of 81. Graves revolutionized the study of Science, and was praised among his students and peers. Thanks to Graves, Science is still going strong at PA.
Hooray for Week 3 of PA Month, brought to you by the Photo of the Week Blog!