For the next few weeks, we’ll feature scenes of Pomp’s and Haggett’s Ponds. One side of Pomp’s Pond is now a Town of Andover recreation site and town beach. The other side of the Pond is now Girl Scout Camp Maude Eaton.
This view is of Boy Scout Camp Manning in the 1920s, “Our location on Indian Ridge.” Camp Manning closed in the early 1950s, and in 1963 the Town purchased the spot for a recreation area. The town beach now occupies this space.
Pomp’s Pond was named for Pompey Lovejoy, who came to Andover as a young child, the slave of Captain William Lovejoy. Lovejoy gained his freedom when he was 38; he lived to the ripe old age of 102. During his lifetime, Lovejoy was a soldier during the Revolution and lived on the bank of the Pond with his wife Rose. Lovejoy and his wife are buried in the South Church burial ground. His tombstone reads, “Pomp Lovejoy, born in Boston, a slave; died in Andover, a free man, Feb. 23, 1826; much respected as a sensible, amiable, upright man.”