Today’s photo of the week is of Pomps Pond, long a site of both recreation and industry in Andover. The Town of Andover’s Pomps Pond Recreation Park was started in 1923 by a group of citizens who cleared the beach area and opened it for swimming. The town acquired the beach and built the first bathhouse the following year. Today Pomps Pond is home to the town beach and Camp Maude Eaton, run by the Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts. In the 1920s the Pond was also home to Camp Manning, run by the Boy Scouts of America.
Our photo of the week illustrates two historical uses of Pomps Pond. Behind the two boys in the boat you can see the ice house owned by a succession of ice companies including B.F. Holt, People’s Ice, and Metropolitan Ice. Ice was cut from the pond in the winter and stored in large ice houses. In 1936 the Andover Townsman reported that “In the hot weather of summer, two deliveries a day were sometimes made, and not emergency call, either by day or by night, has ever been denied.” 10,000 pounds of ice were cut annually from Pomps Pond and other bodies of water in Andover.